About US

My photo
This the story of our journey, Into Something Good, going Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and trying to Hold Onto Our Dreams. How we got on the way to becoming HALF time RVers! Our Ford 350 super duty diesel truck is our horses, we call it the Beast . Our 2008 34'7" 3 slide Cedar Creek Silverback fifth wheel is our Prairie Schooner Wagon,we call it the Bear. Just like the first RVers, the Pioneers of Yesteryear traveling around the country searching for a rich full filling life! Come along with us for the ride and read about our triumphs and mishaps along the way! About to be Part time RVers in a Cedar Creek Silverback 2008, 34'7", 3 slide 5th wheel, which is our Prairie Schooner Wagon, and a 2006 Ford 350 super duty 1 ton diesel truck is our horses, or oxen, only we have to feed it diesel instead of grass, and oats, which costs a lot more! Retired Air Force empty nesters off to see the good ole USA! Favorite Quote: "Life is a Blank Canvas, Made For Me to Add the Colors" Goal: I am trying to add as many colors as I can to my life!

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chilly and Rainy / Fiver Cooking Inside / Outside / and the Beast

Chilly/Rainy:
   The temp today is a far cry from yesterday! It is amazing what a little sun will do for ya. Today it is in the high 50's/low 60's, with clouds,and did I mention it is kinda chilly? Haha! Yesterday,it was in the high 70's,sunny& warm,and I had shorts on! Today I have on jeans,a tee shirt,and socks. Mike lit the gas fireplace for me, cos it was chilly in here, and I was cold. There is a 70% chance of rain today. I think it is supposed to be like this through Saturday,and then start warming back up on Sunday! I know I said a few days ago I would try to keep the complaining to a minimum   but,I hope you have some cheese,cos I feel a little whine coming on! Lol! Oh well,they say into each life a little rain must fall,I guess it my turn. I gotta just keep telling myself April showers bring May flowers,but ya know dang it,flowers need warmth to grow too. I don't need to grow anymore,but I do need to see and feel the SUN after the Winter we have had! Natural warmth(sun)is so much better than artificial warmth(fireplace)it just feels nicer. Okay I'll stop,after all,this is only Thursday. I still have to get through Friday and Saturday,
and I'm sure you'll hear some more whining before it is over! Lol!

Foot Blurb:
   I found out night before last,that I hate having this pin in my foot! The dogs were playing,and bumped it the other night! OUCH! My foot went numb for like 2 minutes,then the pain hit! Omg,it was terrible! I had to go lay down on the bed,I thought my foot was gonna fall off. I felt sick at my stomach,and felt like I was gonna pass out at the same time! This time the pain pill did not help. When Mike came to bed that night,he brought me an ice pack,and I left it on for like an hour. It was so numb that I couldn't feel my foot, but then I couldn't feel the pain either,so that was good! Needless to say,I don't want that to happen again,it still hurts! IF(and I say if because right now it is doubtful)I ever have the other foot done,I want the Doc to use a screw,and put a cast on my foot. No more pins with just an ace bandage,and a surgical shoe! I swear that pin has moved out a little farther,and when I wiggle my toes,I can feel it it move in there. I know,then don't wiggle my toes anymore,right? Haha! Okay, no more about this incident,I don't even want to think about it anymore,let alone talk about it! It just creeps me out!

Fiver:
   I always used to be so glad when the fiver was uncovered again in the Spring! It seemed like no matter how much I looked before it was covered up in the Fall,something I needed was always left in there. Sure,the cover has a zipper,and you can get in the door,but usually what I needed was in the entertainment center across the back. It just so happens,that the entertainment center,is covered up by the slides when you pull them in,and ya can't open the doors when the slides are in. Unfortunately, when the cover is on,ya can't open the slides either,so being able to unzip the cover at the door doesn't help much! Sometimes I would get lucky,and the item I needed was in the kitchen, or upstairs,and I could get to it,but most times it was in the entertainment center. Like I said, I was always excited to get in there,and get out what I'd missed all Winter,this year not so much. I can't get up the steps into the fiver without both feet,so I'll just have to wait. Besides,right now I can't remember what I forgot in the fiver anyway. Lol! I am sure once I am back up on my feet I will need that item,and remember in a snap what it was! Haha! Those nice days we had this past week sure made me antsy to get the slides opened,although it still wouldn't have done me much good. The slides are still shut,and will probably stay that way until Mike gets ready to check out the systems,like the water heater,electric,etc... He'll also have to flush the Rv antifreeze out of the lines and then flush them with clear water. He won't do that until danger of frost is over though. So I imagine,the slides will be kept in at least another 4 weeks,which will put us at the middle of May. At least,I will be able to walk by then! Yippee! 
   Then comes the fun of putting all the stuff back in that we had to take out so it wouldn't freeze. I always like to clean the sink,wash out the refrigerator,clean the bathroom,change the bed,run the sweeper,dust,and clean the stove before we use the fiver. The stove usually isn't too dirty because whenever I can,I cook outside.

Cooking in the Fiver/Outside:
   I have a table I use for our portable gas grill,electric skillet,griddle,and my small convection oven etc...I use a small portable  convection outside,then I don't have to turn the oven on in the fiver get it all hot. We have a canopy that we put over my little outdoor cooking center. The only thing I don't have outside is a sink,but usually,I just carry the rest of the stuff inside,and wash it. I'm not interested in roughing it so much that I have to heat water outside! Gosh,we really don't rough it at all,and that is just the way I like it! Hehe! Most of the time we use paper plates to eat off of so there is just silverware,and whatever I used to cook with to be washed. The reason I choose to cook outside,is that I found out(the hard way)that it is really hard to get grease off the wall covering around the stove in the fiver. So after almost scrubbing the vinyl wall covering off,I now cook outside if it isn't raining. 
   When it does rain I either use cookie sheets in front of the walls around the stove,or sometimes we just go out to eat. I found out it is just easier to clean the cookie sheets than it is the walls,if grease gets on them. The oven is no problem to use,except it makes the fiver hot. Using the burners though,it is better to use the cookie sheets against the walls. Even though I don't very often use oil to cook with,
something always gets on the wall when I am cooking. Maybe,I am just a messy cook,and it is just me haha!
   We have a small tarp that I use to cover the small appliances up with,on the table of my little cooking center. So before we go inside for the night,(in case it rains)I just use clothespins,and clip the tarp to the tablecloth that is under my small appliances. Since I have been doing this,they have never gotten wet when it has rained. So there is a tip for ya about cooking in Rv's,just in case ya always wanted to know! Haha! It works for me, and saves me time and aggravation too.

The Diva Beast:
   Well our big Diva got her new alternator yesterday,and is so happy she is almost purring! Hehe! Mike and Jamie(Son)went to the auto parts store,and got the new alternator yesterday,and got it installed with in an hour. Mike drove the Beast to the base today  to pick up the refills for his prescriptions,and said she ran better than ever,and sounded happy. Lol! Of course,
after Mike stood on his tip toes trying to get the alternator in with Jamie helping,his calf muscles are really tight and sore! We haven't heard from Jamie yet today to see how he is feeling haha! I guess all of us have really gotten out of shape this Winter. Boy, is it gonna be rough starting our walking again. I guess,we'll have to deal with the pain when we finally get started for about a week. That,and trying to retrain these unruly dogs. Lol! 

   Well I better save something in my little head for my next blog,otherwise you'll just be trying to read a blank page haha! I know some of you Full Timers(whose blogs I read)are on the move now,so safe travels to all of you! I am sure you are ready to get rid of that case of Hitch Itch I know ya'll have! I wish we were out,and on the move too! So until next time,see ya's...   













No comments: